Monday, January 19, 2009

  Roxana Robinson on Literally Booked's Review of 'Cost'

Hey all,

Roxana Robinson, author of Cost, posted on here - she read my review! (I'll paste it below, since she didn't post the comment on my actual review, but put it on the announcement for February's book.) Unfortunately, she's surprisingly upset that I wasn't as complimentary as she would have liked. She points out that Jack is introduced early on in the book, which is true, but I stand by my original statement that his actual story line and major participation does not begin until much later, and the book would have benefited from his introduction earlier as a first-person participant. I appreciate that she read the review, and am sorry that I didn't like it as much as she would have wanted, but not everyone will like everything. In fact, I did finish the review by saying that it was a good read once the pace picked up, and that people should go to the library to get it. I almost always go to the library first, and then buy later. I think it's nice that some authors are concerned that every likes their books, even when they have received acclaim from major publications. However, just because I don't like one book as much as another doesn't mean that I don't understand it, just that I didn't enjoy it as much. All reviewers are readers, and all readers are potential reviewers, so insinuating that I am not a valuable critic, or that I'm less then intelligent, simply because my website isn't a major publication, should either mean that my opinion is less valid, and therefore be discounted entirely and not such a source of upset to an author whose work I don't rave about, or that my opinion is just as valid as everyone else's, and should therefore be respected, as those of the several people who also reviewed this novel on Amazon and agreed with many of the things I mentioned in my review.

Roxanne, in case you happen to troll the internet looking for mentions of your book again (this is the only way I can think of that you happened upon my site), Chantal wasn't looking for Cost, she was looking for The Next Thing On My List, which was last month's book club selection. I am always careful to post links to Amazon for every book I mention on here, so everyone who read my review of your novel will be able to order it by clicking onto the link. Thanks for coming by, and if I read another of your books, I'll email to let you know what I think.

******************************

Astarte:
Just to set the record straight on my book, Cost, which you trashed last month, here are a few facts: Jack is introduced in the first chapter. His drug problem is introduced early, and his heroin addiction is announced by Stephen on page 94.

As to the rest of your comments, you might be interested in reading reviews of the book by real critics in The New York Times, the Washington Post, the Wall Street Journal, the Chicago Tribune, People, Down East magazine and many other publications.
All of these reviewers understood the book and what it was about.
It was an Editors' Choice at the New York Times, named one of the 10 Best Books of the Year at the Washington Post, one of the Twelve Best Books of the Year by the Wall Street Journal, and one of the Best Books of the Year at the Seattle Tribune and the Chicago Tribune.

Chantal, you ought to be able to order the book at any bookstore. If not, Amazon will get it to you.

Roxana Robinson

January 19, 2009 9:45 AM

Delete

6 comments:

Chantal said...

Oh man. I can't believe she thought you trashed her book! I reread the post and it was definitely critical but in no way a trash. Now your review of the David Sedaris book... :)

I wanted to point out that I could have ordered "The next thing on my list" but I would have had to pay shipping costs which would have almost doubled the cost of the book.

The reason I hadn't been going to the library is cause i have a nasty huge fine. But I looked and the library has both books. So I must swallow my pride and go pay that massive fine!

Unknown said...

Well, if she is getting such great reviews from such prestigious places, then why is she worried about what someone out in the blogosphere is saying about her book? Some people have too much time on their hands.

Deleted said...

I agree with barneynibbs; holy hell, really she should be more careful sounding so offensive around places where people go that read books it's a good way to lose people's interest in her books altogether. Hope this doesn't deter you from writing more reviews.

I have been thinking a lot about having another blog reviewing movies. Might give it a try..

Swistle said...

Well, OBVIOUSLY, Astarte, didn't you know that you're only allowed to say GOOD things about her books? And that if you don't 100% love her books, it just means you didn't UNDERSTAND? No wonder she was so mad!

Hotch Potchery said...

She was ticked, yeah. I wonder if she realizes her attitude, not your review might keep people from reading... I mean BUYING her book.

clueless but hopeful mama said...

Love your response to this, Astarte. Going the high road AND not backing down.

I'm afraid her comment makes me NOT want to read anything she ever writes. "Real critics" include every single reader, in my book.

Follow Me on Pinterest
 
Add to Technorati Favorites Follow Me on Pinterest