Sunday, January 18, 2009

  February's Book Is....

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, by David Wroblewski. This one has been sitting on my shelf for awhile now, and I've really been wanting to get to it. I hope everyone enjoys it!! Questions will be posted around February 15th.

The Amazon review:
Amazon.com Review
Amazon Best of the Month, June 2008: It's gutsy for a debut novelist to offer a modern take on Hamlet set in rural Wisconsin--particularly one in which the young hero, born mute, communicates with people, dogs, and the occasional ghost through his own mix of sign and body language. But David Wroblewski's extraordinary way with language in The Story of Edgar Sawtelle immerses readers in a living, breathing world that is both fantastic and utterly believable. In selecting for temperament and a special intelligence, Edgar's grandfather started a line of unusual dogs--the Sawtelles--and his sons carried on his work. But among human families, undesirable traits aren't so easily predicted, and clashes can erupt with tragic force. Edgar's tale takes you to the extremes of what humans must endure, and when you're finally released, you will come back to yourself feeling wiser, and flush with gratitude. And you will have remembered what magnificent alchemy a finely wrought novel can work. --Mari Malcolm

5 comments:

Chantal said...

Hey Astarte, I am sorry I was not able to participate in the January book. I tried to buy it but the national chain here didn't carry it.

Roxana Robinson said...

Astarte:
Just to set the record straight on my book, Cost, which you trashed last month, here are a few facts: Jack is introduced in the first chapter. His drug problem is introduced early, and his heroin addiction is announced by Stephen on page 94.

As to the rest of your comments, you might be interested in reading reviews of the book by real critics in The New York Times, the Washington Post, the Wall Street Journal, the Chicago Tribune, People, Down East magazine and many other publications.
All of these reviewers understood the book and what it was about.
It was an Editors' Choice at the New York Times, named one of the 10 Best Books of the Year at the Washington Post, one of the Twelve Best Books of the Year by the Wall Street Journal, and one of the Best Books of the Year at the Seattle Tribune and the Chicago Tribune.

Chantal, you ought to be able to order the book at any bookstore. If not, Amazon will get it to you.

Roxana Robinson

Kristi said...

I'm looking forward to this book. I already have it on hold at the library! It's not what I would normally read, but I think that's what I like best about your selections. They tend to open my book horizon!!!

Dude, what is up with this Roxana chick? Defensive much? Not everyone has to like her book.

Marie Green said...

We are reading Edgar Sawtelle for our book club THIS month. I'll have to let you know what I think.

Bring A. Torch said...

Sweeet, I'll be looking forward to this. I haven't been that affected by a book in a really long time.

Follow Me on Pinterest
 
Add to Technorati Favorites Follow Me on Pinterest