Friday, November 7, 2008

  November Club Questions on The Heretic's Daughter, Question #1

I'm going to post the discussion topics for The Heretic's Daughter in their own separate posts, so anyone who wants to can comment on each topic and we'll have an easily followable thread for each question. I'm not going to comment for a few days, because I want to know what you all think without my input! No one answer is 'right' or 'wrong', and the only rule here is to please be respectful of others' thoughts and words. Rude or disparaging posts will be deleted (but I know there won't be any!).

Question 1: Do you believe that Sarah’s uncle really killed himself out of desperate self-loathing, or did her father actually murder him?

3 comments:

Kristi said...

I'd like to believe that Sarah's uncle killed himself. He had done so many wrong things, and I think the knowledge of that would be too much for someone sitting in a cell waiting to be hanged.

Chantal said...

I am positive that he killed himself. I was sitting around last night thinking about this and I have come to a bit more sinister reason as to why he requested a visit from Thomas. I think he called Thomas to his cell so that he would be the last person to see him alive. So that Thomas would be blamed for killing him.

Astarte said...

Ooh, Chantal, I think that's a really, really interesting idea, that the uncle wanted Thomas to be blamed! I think that would make a lot more sense than his killing himself out of some kind of change of heart. He had never seemed to be a man who cared for other people overmuch, so wanting to apologize to Thomas would have been really, really out of character. I also think that he would have been practically out of his mind with alcohol withdrawal, having been an alcoholic all his life, as well as probably suffering from a raging case of VD. People died from the clap all the time back then. So, I kind of think that he was dying anyway, and true to his previous behavior, wanted to end his own suffering, and maybe take Thomas along with him.

Follow Me on Pinterest
 
Add to Technorati Favorites Follow Me on Pinterest