Tuesday, October 14, 2008

  We're Here, We're Here, We're Here!

It's me, over from the Muddled Sage, opening a book review shop! Like the Who's, hidden in the dandelion in Horton's hand (at least I think it was a dandelion, if it was anything real at all), here we are, a little review blog in the middle of probably a million review blogs. But, we're here, and that's what's important!

I'm starting up here because I don't want to drag *all* the people who read my other site (listen to me talk like there are millions of people over there, hanging on my every word!) through my book talk, but I do love to read, and even if no one ever looked at this, it will be nice to have a place to put all my thoughts about the things I read. Also, if anyone else has things to say about things *they've* read, you can guest-post on here and share your thoughts, as well! We're all busy, and knowing ahead of time if something's worth the effort, or if it's a total tanker, is a good thing. Plus, it's fun to read what other people think!

Also, just for kicks, I'm going to start a Book Club on here as well, for those of us who would like to read a specific book and then have a 'discussion' about it, but don't have the time/location/gas money to get to an actual meeting. My thought on this is, I'll post a book title once a month, and then everyone will have the month to post what they thought, read other's comments, and respond. I'll try to post some sort of discussion points to go along with it, too, if I can be so organized. Anyone who wants to suggest a title, feel free. My one request is, no romance. As in, no closet-bodice-rippers, please. If it has a cover person that might remotely resemble Fabio, I would rather poke out my eyes with a spoon than read it. However, if you want to read it on your own and do a guest-post, I'll think about letting your girly-girl cooties touch my pages. :)

So, let's do the Book Club from the 15th to the 15th, starting tomorrow. The first book will be, The Heretic's Daughter, by Kathleen Kent. It's about a young girl who survives the smallpox epidemic only to become enmeshed in the Salem witch trials as one of the accused. The author based the novel on actual events that occurred within her own family! It has disease, paranoia, witchcraft, family feuds and court drama. I know it's hardcover, but hopefully with a month's notice you'll be able to either get it from the library by request or borrow a copy from someone.

And.... go!

6 comments:

creative kerfuffle said...

holy crap! ok--i'll go to the library this weekend and check it out and ATTEMPT to join the book club. i love to read but sadly do little of it any more.

Kristi said...

The Heretic's Daughter sounds good! Perfect choice for the Halloween season!!

Kristi said...

I've got the book on hold at the library! I guess I'm 21st in line! This must be a popular book.

Confession - In my adult life I have never checked out a book from the library. Fortunately, I was able to do it all online. Hurray!

Astarte said...

Ooh, I'm so glad you all came over!!! :)

Chantal said...

I was directed your way by LoriD and I found my way to your book blog. Hmmm I like the idea of an online book club. I have always wanted to join a book club but don't have time for meetings... I will try and get myself a copy of this one and join in.

Chantal said...

Howdy again, Beaver tails are a pastry. It is pretty much a ball bread dough that is flattened into a rough oval (looking sorta like a beaver tail) that is deep fried and then coated with either a sweet or a savory coating. I love the cinnamon and brown sugar, but my hubby loves the garlic and cheese. If you ever come to the capital region (Ottawa) you have to try one. But they also sell them a the Canada Pavilion at the Epcot Centre in Florida :)

Follow Me on Pinterest
 
Add to Technorati Favorites Follow Me on Pinterest